Sunday, May 4, 2014

Irish Style Roast Beef


Irish style Roast Beef
 This meal would be the perfect meal for Saint Patrick's Day, but it really is that good you could have it all year round.  I cook this roast in the slow cooker but you could roast it in the oven in much the same manner. 

3-4 lbs of roast beef
Grapeseed or coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
5-6 carrots, sliced
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 small head of green cabbage, sliced
2-3 lbs of potatoes ( I used a mix of sweet potato and baby new potato)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bottle of beer (dark ale or stout)
1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
fresh cracked peppercorns

By now you probably guess that I like to put my meat on the grill a lot. Roasts especially are done in this manner as I feel the grill adds that depth of flavor and the sear on the outside locks in a lot of the moisture.  So I greased up my roast with some grapeseed oil and massaged in some spices.  Once the coals on my grill were hot, I seared my meat on all sides.  


Once that was done I placed in into the crock.  I then added the sliced onion, diced garlic, sliced carrots, potatoes and topped with sliced cabbage. Sprinkle with sea salt and fresh, cracked pepper.  Now the finishing touch... one beer.  Now, don't use just any beer.  Use a good quality beer.  The best beer to use would be a dark ale or stout.  I used Leffe brown ale.  It is a full bodied Belgium beer that is dark brown in color and has sweet notes of caramel, due to the roasted malt used. The sweetness in the beer makes for a perfect compliment to the the cabbage.  Even people who do not like cabbage will be asking for more. 
The crock pot was set on high until things started to simmer and then I reduced it to medium/low.  I let it cook for about 4 hours and occasionally turned the vegetables around the beef to submerge into the juices.   
Now you may be asking?  Did she serve this dish her kids?  Yes!  They really like beer. Okay all kidding aside, the alcohol is completely cooked out of the dish once it is ready to serve.  So you get all the flavor without the buzz.   











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Chiro Kitchen.