Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Vegetable & Orzo Soup

Light vegetable soup


Vegetable soup is just one of those feel good foods.  You don't have to be battling a cold or the flu to eat it.  It makes for a great dinner on those nights you just feel like something a little lighter on the stomach.   For this soup I used the bones from one of my roasted chickens and made a broth.  Simply boil the carcass in water until the liquid is reduced to about half.  Strain and it is ready for use. 
I threw a few bones back into the strained stock, so I would remember what this was for.
I begin the construction of my soup by chopping a lot of vegetables in small bite sized bits.  You can use whatever you have on hand.  I used onions, carrots, cauliflower and zucchini.  I sauteed the onions and carrots in some olive oil with sea salt until the carrots where softened.  
 
Then I added the other veggies, some basil and garlic  I went light on the spices as I wanted this soup to have a real pure taste to it. Next I poured in my broth.  If you don't have any homemade chicken broth you can make us some vegetable or use some pre-made stocks.  I added some organic orzo and let the soup simmer for about 1 hour or longer.  I served this with a spinach,orange pomegranate salad.  Light, nourishing and bursting with flavor.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Chiro Kitchen.