Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Buffalo Burgers, sweet potato fries and cucumber salad


Tonight is the last night of A Month of Meals with the Kehoe's.  It also so happens to be my birthday.  I didn't plan it to turn out like this but I am glad we are ending with one of my favorite meals.  Who doesn't like burgers and fries?  Technically there is no frying of these sweet potato slices but they are indeed gooooooood. Sweet potato fries are so easy to make.  Wash and slice some sweet potatoes into wedges.  Place the wedges in a large bowl and coat them with coconut oil, sea salt and any desired spices.  You can try cinnamon or cumin, garlic and onion powder. I used the latter.  Bake at 400 degrees, turning occasionally until cooked and evenly browned.
Sweet potato fries

Toss in a bowl with coconut oil and spices

Shake, shake.

Lay coated sweet potatoes on a pan lined with parchment.
Perfect sweet potato fries
For the burgers,  I use buffalo instead of beef because it tastes so darn good and it is naturally very lean.  This means less flare ups on the grill from the dripping fat and shorter cooking times.  Depending on the thickness of your burger patty a buffalo burger will cook in 2-3 minutes sooner than beef.  If you overcook buffalo it will dry out very quickly because it lacks the excess fat. You want to cook them medium, with a little pink in the middle.  This can usually be achieved in less than 10 minutes total. 
Buffalo Burgers:
1 lb of ground buffalo meat
1 egg(as a binder)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
splash of sea salt 
Mix the above until well combined.  Form into patties and grill.  
This is a double batch.

Careful not to over cook.
Buffalo burger with sun dried tomatoes, avocado, white cheddar cheese and spinach

For my buns, I used my sourdough starter and made some fresh ones. No yoga mat chemicals in my burger buns.  I am still perfecting the recipe.  Right now they are coming out a little too dense.  When I get it just perfect, I will let you know how to master the art of burger bun making with whole wheat sourdough.  
Whole wheat sourdough buns




Lastly, I made a cucumber salad.  Quick and easy to prepare. It is just the right cool, refreshing compliment to this burger and fries.  The key is to thinly slice the cucumber.  I use a mandoline or if I am making a really big batch my King Cutter. I like human power kitchen "appliances" but if you have one you can use a food processor.  Peel the cucumber, then slice it.
   



 
 
Add some thinly slice red onion, salt and pepper to taste.  Finally, fold in a dollop of plain, whole milk yogurt.  You need enough to coat the cucumbers, not too much where you can't see them. 





 

 

 
creamy cucumber salad

 Although a month of meals officially ends tonight, I will continue this blog with a post once a week or more.  Be sure not to miss a post and sign up for email updates.  ( to the right )
Next post I will show you how to make these....

Don't miss it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Chiro Kitchen.