Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fall off the bone Ribs

 
This meal screams man food.  We were expecting some company for dinner so I decided to do up a few ribs.  We had buffalo ribs from the 1/4 buffalo we order annually.  As monstrous as those are I didn't think they would be enough, so I purchased some Greenwise Beef Ribs as well.


 In comparing our two animals, there is an obvious difference in size but you can also see by the marbling on the meat, that the beef ribs have much more fat on them then the naturally, lean buffalo. 
Top: Buffalo Ribs Bottom: Beef Ribs

 
Comparing fat content of beef vs buffalo ribs

Beef ribs

Buffalo ribs
I put a dry rub on these baby's and laid them on a grill with hot coals to cook off some of the fat and get a nice smoke flavor to them. No I did not use any oil.  The purpose of the grill is not to cook the ribs but instead to give them flavor.  So I didn't leave them on there long. 

Dry Rub 
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
fresh cracked pepper
My salt is pink because I use Himalayan.


The smell of these ribs cooking will bring grunting men flocking to your backyard.  Once the ribs came off the grill, I added them to crock pot with my very special BBQ sauce.  Now because I like you, I will share it with you.  

Special Slow Cooker Rib Sauce
1/4-1/2 cup organic ketchup ( depending on how many ribs you have)
1 6 oz can of organic tomato paste
1 1/2 cups finely diced sweet onion
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-3 Tablespoon local raw honey (depending on your desired sweetness)
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3-6 strong splashes of McIlhenny's Chipolte Tabasco sauce
1 cup water
Add ketchup, honey and lime together and mix until honey is dissolved.  Add in all other ingredients, whisking until well combined.  Taste.  Adjust your salt/honey as needed.  Pour over ribs, making sure most are covered.  
Cook ribs in a slow cooker for 4-8 hours depending on your temperature.  Low and slow is ideal.  I left these in the crock pot for 10 hours, turning occasionally.   The meat was fall off the bone tender. Brian used all of the left over rib sauce throughout the week.  I think that sauce was used on everything except his pancakes.   




Buffalo Ribs with collards, freekeh and black beans



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Chiro Kitchen.