Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pierogies

If you have ever known someone of Polish descent, that made homemade pierogies, than perhaps you may have been blessed with the opportunity to try these pillows of goodness. 



Pierogies are equivalent to the Italian ravioli, the Jewish knish or Irish dumpling. Pierogies are a flour dough filled pastry.  Most common are the potato filled or potato and cheese filled pierogies.  I prefer the sauerkraut ones.  My aunt, who's husband is Polish makes them yearly for Canadian Thanksgiving.  What a treat they were.  I have also known others to make pierogies filled with fruit like blueberries. Typically the pierogies are boiled, then fried in a pan with butter and onions. 
Well why break with tradition?  That is exactly how I prepared mine. Only I had some grass-fed, organic beef thawed, that needed to be used so I added that in too.

Unfortunately, these peirogies were not handmade by some little polish lady. Nor did I make them.  Instead, they were Rising Moon Organic Potato and Onion pierogies.  Locally, you can purchase them from Publix in the freezer section.  It is probably the only pre-made food I ever buy. For store bought peirogies, they are not bad. They are organic, so you don't get all those chemicals and preservatives.  Here is a list of the ingredients.

Ingredients
Pasta Ingredients: Organic unbleached wheat flour, water, organic whole eggs. Filling Ingredients: Water, organic potato flakes, organic cooked onions, organic butter (organic pasteurized cream, salt, culture), sea salt, organic canola oil, organic black pepper.
Not bad for store bought. 

 
I boil the pierogies as per the bags instructions.  While the pierogies are boiling, I slice the onions and cook them in a smidge of olive oil and the grass fed beef.  Once the pierogies have floated to the top of the water, I know they are done and transfer them with a slotted spoon to the cast iron pan that I cooked the onions and beef in.  I add a healthy pat of organic butter and cook on medium heat to brown the sides of the pierogies.  


I serve with a dollop of plain whole fat yogurt and a side salad.  Enjoy.   

ngredients

Pasta Ingredients: Organic unbleached wheat flour, water, organic whole eggs. Filling Ingredients: Water, organic potato flakes, organic cooked onions, organic butter (organic pasteurized cream, salt, culture), sea salt, organic canola oil, organic black pepper.
- See more at: http://www.risingmoon.com/pages/productdetail.aspx?p=78503002045#show

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Chiro Kitchen.