Sunday, April 13, 2014

Grill Roast Beef with Carrots and onions and Roasted Garlic Cauliflower



Nothing says Sunday dinner better than a roast beef.  As I child I fondly remember cold winter Sundays, when the house would smell of a buttery beef cooking in the oven.  A roast beef is just one of those classic family meals. 
When it comes to beef, there are a variety of cuts of meat to choose from.  The good news is that this recipe is so versatile you can use it for just about any cut.  Even a cheaper cut of beef can be transformed into a tender melt-in-your-mouth piece of beef.
For my roast beef I used a bone in shank roast from our friends at Lake Kersey Farms.  Eileen thought I should use it for something in the crock pot because she thought it would be too tough.  Perhaps I just got lucky but this roast was tender as can be. 

First I marinated it overnight in the fridge. I covered it with sea salt, fresh chopped garlic and fresh rosemary.  Then I gave it a little massage with some olive oil. That was it.


The next day I put it on the grill.  I do use that thing a lot, don’t I?  I grilled it on all sides for just a few minutes each side to get a nice char on.  This I feels gives it such an unbelievable flavor you can’t get by roasting it alone.  Because I don’t trim any excess fat, he grill also helps cook some of that off. 


Char on all sides.

Step one in the cooking process
 After that, I put it in a roasting pan, with carrots and onions.  Had I planned better, I would have started roasting the carrots and onions a little first, then pulled them out to add the roast.  Given our roast was pre-grilled, it was not in the oven roasting long enough for the carrots to be fully cooked. 
 
I covered it and put it in the oven at 325.  Low and slow.  The key is to keep it covered.  How long it will roast will depend on the size of your beef and the desired doneness.  My roast was about 3 lbs and I cooked it until the internal temperature reached 145 degrees which equates to about a medium doneness. (slightly pink in the middle but without any blood)
 
Definitely did not need a knife to cut this.  


I also roasted cauliflower.  Now if you have never roasted cauliflower before you are missing out.  It has just the right amount of sweetness, similar to a baked potato but without the grainy texture.  I roasted mine with minced garlic, sea salt and olive oil.  Simple, yet very good.  Lana (22 months) ate all her cauliflower and asked for more, before she touched anything else on her plate.   Once the cauliflower is seasoned, cover and bake in the oven at 350 for approximately 25min. Give the cauliflower a tossing around once or twice during this time.  You will know it is cooked to perfection, when the white florets turn a light golden color.   

Garlic roasted cauliflower

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your interest in Chiro Kitchen.